Yes well only 6 hours because it really wasnt meant to be that far but the map must have had it wrong and actually the place I was trying to get to was a lot further away then I had gestimated!! (perhaps that was the problem....)I am getting used to driving the impossibly tiny roads around here that actually look like single dirt roads and can barely fit one car let alone two so imagine my absolute joy when I ended up on one of the smallest roads in the WORLD!
Not only was it teeny but it went very steep down hill, had the worlds tightest bend into a vertical uphill, I'm not even kidding and to top things off it had a very nice super high sheer drop to the sea on one side, plus I came face to face with a bus coming from the other direction. To say I was happy to find the car park is an understatement!
After crazily throwing myself out the car and on to solid ground, thankful to have made it to a car park in one piece, we set off from Millook (or so I thought, I'm thinking now that it probably wasnt!) following the coastal path to Crackington Haven, I only wanted to visit because of its name, well who wouldnt!
It was apparently a mere 4 miles away, well unless it takes 6 hours to walk 4 miles that was a complete lie!
First off we practically had to abseil down the path from the car park (yes it was that high and steep!) stopping briefly at the little cobbled beach at the bottom before making our way on to the coastal path itself, with its sea views it was actually really nice!
That was until hours later we came face to face with a ravine...dun dun dun...well I say ravine but it was actually just a parting in cliff but oh it was high!!! Not to worry though they had been kind enough to put steps and paths up and down both sides....fun....
The path down on one side was SO high up and so steep I had to scramble down it looking away from the sea and hold on to whatever prickly thorny plants I could cling to for safety (I have those plants to thank for my swollen hands!)
The path down on one side was SO high up and so steep I had to scramble down it looking away from the sea and hold on to whatever prickly thorny plants I could cling to for safety (I have those plants to thank for my swollen hands!) After reaching the bottom we were faced with an epic climb up the other side, of course there is a path but seriously that's not going to stop you plummeting to your death, yup it was that bad! This time I crawled up on my knees and nervously laughed the whole way....




Once at the top of the cliff we walked a bit further until we saw MORE steps up another bit of steep cliff before we called it quits, Crackington Haven would have to wait for another day!!
We decided to go back which meant tackling those other steps again! I have never felt pain so bad, oh it hurt! Crawling up and down steps also takes ages so it just prolonged the agony!
To top things off we had another burning climb back to the car which was such a nice way to finish things off....and no Mr Whippy Ice cream van in sight!
Think I'll leave it a while before I do that walk again!!

0 comments:
Post a Comment