At exactly 9.03pm last night I suddenly came over all creative and inspired and cracked open my new journal and finally got started, and believe me when I say its been a long time coming!I have loads of books on art and drawing and journal keeping but never really bothered to do it properly myself but always really wished I would!
I purposely went out and bought a notebook with the sole intention of using it as a creative journal and it sat with some other books on my floor for a good week or so doing nothing, I think the thought of starting a brand new clean empty book is a bit intimidating so last night was a break through!
I decided to start with pasting in pictures and then I'll write proper entries and all kinds of things in it along the way.
I always like to start with photos as an introduction to the owner (that'd be ME!) because in a weird way I have always liked the thought of some day in the future someone picking it up and being able to learn all about me and read my little life story as it unfolds or perhaps it gets lost and a stranger finds it, it would just be a super cool thing to stumble across! Its a personal sneak peek into someones life.
There I was merrily cutting things out, now I am a tiny bit of a perfectionist and previous attempts for some reason result in a draft layout before I do the final neat version! I know weirdo! Having said that I also have a spontaneous creative side where I just go with the flow, thankfully this side was ready to go last night! phew!
So cool idea a go-go, black card to off-set the photo, stick, stick, stick and then uh oh! RIP!!....the page ripped out at the binding....sellotape and staples in a mad rescue attempt but I finally had to admit defeat, all the stapled pages in the world weren't going to hold this page in...hmmmm..
I then remembered as a self confessed hoarder of notebooks I had a rather pricey moleskin notebook stashed away in the cupboard - ah yes from a previous attempt at making a journal - I was in luck I had only filled 3 pages, the front page would have to stay but the others were ripped out in seconds! I reinforced the front page with card, sellotape and staples to hide the scraggy bits from the removed pages and voila!
I then remembered as a self confessed hoarder of notebooks I had a rather pricey moleskin notebook stashed away in the cupboard - ah yes from a previous attempt at making a journal - I was in luck I had only filled 3 pages, the front page would have to stay but the others were ripped out in seconds! I reinforced the front page with card, sellotape and staples to hide the scraggy bits from the removed pages and voila!

Moments later the artsy photo pages that had ripped out the first book was recreated and I was off! Today I created a little trip down memory lane with a timeline type spread of my mug from when I was about 5 up until some photos I took at the end of last year.


Here's how it looks so far... Yes the photos are pretty small and that's deliberate I don't want you reading my ramblings (and I haven't even got round to spilling my inner most secrets!) but you can get the gist of the layouts - cant wait to do more...

1 comments:
Hi! This is awesome! So glad to see someone else starting a new visual journal for 2011. I really agonized over which book to use and ended up buying four different kinds...even now I'm not sure if I've picked the best one. :)
Thanks for your email. Keep on blogging, I love reading your posts / seeing what you are up to.
Happy New Year!
Post a Comment