Tuesday, 23 August 2011

Happy Holiday Present...

Everyone loves receiving little presents right?

So what better way to celebrate a long awaited holiday than giving a present to my sister, my longstanding Cornish Caper Companion!

Our Cornish Capers started long ago back in 2005 with our very first trip down to Newquay (aka Coast of Dreams...thats really what it say's on the sign!) to watch surfing and then later to see our first Boardmasters from there we returned every year for fun and good times, visiting Gnome gardens, waterfalls, regular gardens, cake shops, fudge shops and ASDA supermarkets....its more of a food festival really with some surfing thrown in for good measure!

Anyhoo seeing as Newquay and in particular Fistral beach started it all I got brainstorming on a cute present idea and here is what I came up with!

1. First I purchased a 'Fistral' bead from Nalu Surf beads (I already own a very cool set of these beads...brag brag brag)

2. Next I turned in to a complete criminal and nipped on down to Fistral beach with my tupperware box stashed in my handbag and while no one was looking I scooped up a load of sand, snapped on the lid and made a run for it - if you spotted someone looking very suspicious on that day it was me!!

3. Then I bought a tiny jar from the weird but super cool hardware shop in town and filled it with the official Fistral beach sand!


4. Next the slightly tricky bit of making something for it all to go in! I used the old box the bead was sent it, ripped off the lid and used brown parcel tape to neaten the edges.

Then using jumbo butterfly pins and a sheet of projector film, secured one side with a pin and wrapped it around the box, giving the appearance of a clear box cover. I trimmed the excess and secured with another Butterfly pin with the fold back bits facing out so that could be used to open and fasten the cover.
5. To finish the box I folded some white fleece and pressed it in to the box to cushion the jar. I then tied in a large parcel label inside the top of the box and decorated it and added a label to the front of the jar.

6. To finish the jar I wrapped the bead in a bit of clear plastic wrap secured with a clear band, tied it with gold thread and then buried it in the jar in the sand - like a mini treasure hunt! - I then tied the cord to the outside of the jar and added a mini Happy Holidays tag to complete the whole thing!!

When you open the jar you pull on the gold thread and that pulls out the bead, so all in all you get a Fistral bead in real Fistral beach sand! A tiny present made in to something a bit more special!!


7. With the left over sand make a beach for a mini John Cena, complete with shells and umbrella

0 comments: